Friday, October 17, 2014

Whistling Past The Graveyard

 photo 25D59EF8-2007-4514-A851-0FD2D8C657DC_zpszhexaazm.jpg


Whistling Past The Graveyard by Susan Crandall

I have been meaning to sit and write a review for ages but got too busy painting and opening my etsy shop!!!  (more on that in a later post) I kept looking at the book sitting on my desk, needing to go back to the library.  I thought a few times ... I won't write a review ... I'll just take it back.
But I just couldn't.  I just had to write a review! I just had to let you know that 
you need to read this book!!  Seriously. 

It was a fun, easy read. 
I enjoyed every minute of it.

It's written in the voice of a nine-year-old white girl in the early 60's who runs away from the home where she lives with her overly strict grandmother and a father who adores her but works out 
of town most of the time.  She sets off to find her mother.  Along the way she has
adventure after adventure.  Some very dangerous and terrifying.

Trying to make her was from Mississippi to Nashville ... on foot ... she accepts a  ride
from a black woman travelling with a white baby.  This decision will 
change her life forever.

I loved how the author captured the innocence of a child.
The unquestioning devotion of a child to a parent.
The inner workings of the mind of a child.
I just loved it.  All of it.  I wish I 
read books twice.  This
one, I probably
would.


3 comments:

Mari October 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM  

Nice to see a post! :)
I'll have to look for this book after that great review.

Bonnie October 19, 2014 at 8:03 AM  

Thank you Mari! It was nice to post again! :)

Jo November 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM  

I finally got this book at the library and LOVED it! Thank you for turning me on to it. The main character, Starla, reminded me of Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP